Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lions and Tigers and Bears… Will Lose

Okay, I know that title had to have been used before, but I couldn’t help it. This isn’t the first time, and it won’t be the last time that I’ve picked Detroit, Chicago, and Cincy to all lose in the same weekend. Actually, this isn’t the first time this season! Here are some surprise picks for you though:

Jacksonville over Arizona – okay, okay, I know. Not a surprise because the Jags are favored at home in this one. But seriously, would it be a surprise if I picked the favored Titans to beat the underdog Steelers last Thursday? Of course! So this counts. Jacksonville’s defense looked stout in front of a true man of a quarterback (one that doesn’t need those sissy gloves on both hands) in Peyton Manning. It may be close, but only on the scoreboard. If Arizona looked somewhat decent against the Niners, I might have more difficulty with this one.

Tampa Bay over Buffalo
– What?! Maybe I picked this one too soon after the choke-fest that was Monday Night Football. The Bills are favored to win at home. Buffalo looked great during the Patties game. Their offense needed to execute better on third down. Their running attack with Freddy Jackson is awesome to watch! They didn’t turn the ball over on offense. And their defense played an A+ game against the Patties right up until the end. Take the last five sentences; move them back three years; insert J.P. Loser-man (spelling?) and Lynch or McGahee before him and nothing’s changed! Not converting on third downs plus late turnovers plus soft fourth quarter defense equals a losing team. I am not talking about a lost game. I am talking about a mediocrity that brings about years of missing the playoffs. Those 6-10 Charger teams of my youth are remembered well when I watch the Bills.

Seattle over San Francisco – I had some trouble picking this one. Indeed San Fran is favored slightly in this one. I don’t think they should be. They showed a stout defense against Arizona last week, but it remains to be seen if Arizona is the powerhouse everyone makes them out to be. I’ll say it again; they are not that far removed from mediocrity. My problem with Seattle comes simply from not seeing their game against a team (speaking of mediocrity: St. Louis) that is probably still pretty bad. Their stats, especially Hasslebeck’s three TDs, look great. Their running yards appear to have come mostly from one long TD run. But offensive production is offensive production. And a defensive shutout is a defensive shutout.

Dear Buffalo,
Please pitch a shutout on defense and be productive on offense so I can pick you next week.

Your Fan,
Brandon.


Cleveland over Denver – I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people pick Denver at home for this one. Cleveland is not the awful Cleveland of a few years ago though. Probably still mediocre, but so is Kyle Orton. He’s safe, but mediocre. In what will hopefully be a turnover-and-punt-fest, I look for the Browns to stay safely at the top of the turd pile by the end.

Indianapolis over Miami – Um. No surprise here. I chose 26 for a final score tie-breaker because the Miami’s D stood up well against the A-T-L and their offense – well, it’s the Dolphins. Really I just wanted this last paragraph to say happy birthday to my good friend Colts fan Jozi. And while I’m here, my brother too. And Lloyd. Not that he would have read this far. Any other 17th birthdays out there?

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo! There is no greater birthday present for a Colts fan! :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete